What Is cPanel and Why Do You Need Control Dashboard for Your Business
- July 28, 2023
TABLE OF CONTENTS
If you are here, that means you are already curious about control panels and web hosting. And to satiate your curiosity, we have compiled this guide that will answer all the questions on cPanel and why it is so widely used. First, you must know that cPanel is something that is considered essential by every web hosting service provider. We at Teckea believe that cPanel is an absolute necessity for web hosting and in web development itself.
So, we will help you learn everything you need to know about what is a cPanel, why is it important, dissect the pros and cons, and even suggest alternatives. But before that, some frequently asked questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is cPanel?
The most frequently asked question we get is what is a cPanel? cPanel is a control panel that is used to manage web hosting. It is based on Linux, which makes it incredibly easy to operate and also makes it very popular. It runs very similarly to a desktop application and the UI allows you to perform actions in a user-friendly way instead of trying to deploy complex commands.
In short, cPanel is a very reliable and easy-to-use site hosting platform. We at Teckea cannot recommend it enough.
What does cPanel do?
So, let’s break down the things cPanel does and why it does it so well.
- You can create and manage MySQL databases for WordPress-based websites with cPanel
- Through the platform, you can Install all kinds of software with just a few clicks.
- cPanel manages and edits site files
- It also saves important information on contacts
- You can use and take advantage of Cloudflare for better performance for your website all through cPanel
- With cPanel you can make your website more robust to attacks by configuring extra layers of security
- You can also activate various kinds of cron jobs
- cPanel also allows you to create and manage email accounts for all administrators
- You can also add and update DNS records
- The dashboard on cPanel is quite good, you can look at key metrics of your site and server at a glance
Is cPanel a hosting site?
No, it is not a hosting site but instead, like the name suggests, cPanel is a platform that is designed to handle hosting sites.
Is it necessary to have a cPanel?
No, it isn’t. However, web hosting can be tough to manage. With the right tools you can not only take care of the traffic and other auxiliary systems on your website, but you can also optimize it.
Pros and Cons of using cPanel
Now, let’s look at the pros and cons of using cPanel to give you a deeper insight into what this tool provides you and you will be closer to answering the question, what is a cPanel? For yourself.
- Compatibility: As we have already mentioned that cPanel runs on Linux and is incredibly popular, it is also compatible with all kinds of browsers. It works well on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari. In addition to this cPanel also supports SEO tools and various site builders.
- Great UI: One of the biggest plus points about using cPanel is that it has a great user interface. We have already discussed talked about what a great platform it is and why Teckea prefers cPanel. One of the reasons is the ease of use due to the UI. The modules on the dashboard are easy to locate and easy to access. There is also the presence of intuitive menus and graphics for smooth navigation.
- Awesome features: The best part about cPanel is that you do not have to be an expert to use it. Yes, to run your business’ web hosting, cPanel is such an intuitive platform it allows you to do it without extensive technical know-how. How? cPanel comes with a list of features that allow you to create subdomains, manage MySQL databases, and generate site backups and FTP accounts. These complicated tasks can be done by anyone thanks to features on cPanel.
- Robust support system: A good platform often means that there is a community of developers and users that keep it propped up. They do this by solving every query and problem possible. cPanel is no different. The forums and blogs contain tons of resources. And there are also several guides and manuals that contain technical details on various problems.
- Automatic support software installation: As we said, it is a platform well-loved by users because of its features, one more is that it is well-integrated with Softaculous Apps Installer. This gives you access to more than 400 applications. This also includes a suite of content management systems. The best part is that Softaculous takes care of everything from the installation to the update.
- License is costly: While the feature set and its usage might make it undisputed, cPanel comes at a cost. It is the most expensive platform for web hosting. Compared to its competitors the license to use cPanel is very costly and is the highest. If your business is only hosting a single site, it might be better off getting a cPanel hosting plan as the web host itself will lend you its cPanel license.
- Security is questionable: Through available data and research, it has been proven that cPanel’s two-factor authentication (2FA) is not as robust as it seems. It is vulnerable to brute force attacks, however, it is only for outdated versions. As long as you update your cPanel to the latest version, you should be fine.
- There is a risk of data loss and corruption: No matter how robust the platform is, it is not without its flaws. There have been reported instances of cPanel overwriting server settings that cause it to remove all the data during updates. This has been only reported on major updates. The source of this issue has been noted to be a failed hard drive or one that crashed. A full disaster recovery can help restore the server and your data.
Alternatives to cPanel
All of the aforementioned pros and cons might make your decision harder. We at Teckea still believe that cPanel is the best. But if you are still looking for alternatives to cPanel, here are some that we think are worthy of your time.
- DirectAdmin: The best overall option, it is equally user-friendly, slightly lower priced, and faster and more efficient.
- SPanel: The backup and security on this are better than cPanel’s. What’s more, it has excellent all-in-one solutions.
- Plesk: Just like cPanel it runs on Linux, however, it is also available for Windows. It is also excellent when it comes to security. Their support system, which can be accessed via phone and email is prompt and available 24/7.
We hope that this guide thoroughly answers the question, what is a cPanel? Additionally, we hope that if you are looking for web hosting, you are aware of the advantages of using this platform. We at Teckea provide a range of services for your web hosting needs.
© 2022-2023 Copyright TECKEA. All Rights Reserved.